Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Etsy Artist Feature No. 1 -- Cavendish Soapworks

I have been featuring various groups of Etsy artists and crafters since I started this blog in October. I now would love to feature individual artists. Don't worry, I will still have my "Group" features too.

I found this great little shop on Etsy that has some really amazing looking bath and body products. I haven't purchased any as of yet, because I don't exactly have the money right now. But I do plan to be a customer of Cavendish Soapworks when I am able.

Here's a little about Kathleen and Cavendish Soapworks:
I'm a 36 yr old mother of 3 little girls, married for 11 years. I live in Prince Edward Island which is Canada's smallest province and on the east coast. I work from home here in a little community called Cavendish which is home to writer Lucy Maude Montgomery, famed author of Anne of Green Gables. You may or may not have heard of it but it's a big deal in these parts and Anne is known around the world. Especially popular with Japanese girls. We run a seasonal tourism business which includes accommodations, a restaurant and giftshop/gallery. My interests include cooking, painting and swimming but my children keep me pretty busy for the most part. That's pretty much me in a nutshell, nothing too exciting!

How did you get started with your craft?
I got started making soap by accident. I have had psoriasis all my life and while my case is pretty minor it's always been something that's bothered me. I have never liked taking any of the traditional remedies available which include steroids, coal tar creams (yuck!), sunlight therapy (skin cancer anyone?) and various other drugs. I stumbled upon a forum late one night while searching for some more natural remedies and someone had mentioned that handmade soap is so much milder and gentler than any mass produced store bought soap. I love making anything with my hands so I decided to give it a try. I started reading and researching and finally made some for myself. Now I'm not saying that my soap will cure ANY condition but for myself I saw a marked improvement in my skin . It was less dry and itchy and it just looked better. I started selling my wares here locally several years ago but made the leap to Etsy just recently.

How did you find out about Etsy, and how long have you been selling on Etsy?
I honestly don't remember how I learned of Etsy. I'm sure it was from one of the forums I belong to but I can't say for certain. I poked around for most of last winter and finally joined this Fall and started listing in October. So far the response has been great! It's a lot more work than I expected but it's been a good exercise.

What are your favorite items to create?
By far the thing I most enjoy creating is soap. I do make a few other items including candles but soap is my first love. I lay awake at night sometimes thinking about what my next batch should be, what colour fits and deciding on the perfect fragrance to use. I'm sure we all do the same no matter what art/craft we make.

Name one of your favorite Etsy sellers/shops.
This last question is not fair! I've had my eye on the laptop sleeves from JanineKing (I hope that's right) lately, they look lovely. I don't even own a laptop yet but when I do I know where I'm getting the bag to put it in! I'm not much of a jewelry wearer so I just enjoy window shopping for those items. Honestly there is so much great stuff here how could I choose?

Well, there you have it. Kathleen, thanks so much for sharing about yourself and your business. By the way, I LOVE Anne of Green Gables!!!
Be sure to check out Cavendish Soapworks on Etsy.com.
Thanks for looking and God bless,
Angie


No comments: